How Often Should You Have Your Boiler Serviced?
Have you ever asked yourself ‘How often should you have your boiler serviced?’. You more than likely have and it is an excellent question and one that Brosnan Property Solutions takes very seriously. Typically, the first issue that comes to mind is safety. Of course, the safety of your colleagues in the workplace or your family members at home is a top priority. We’ll talk about how often you should service your boiler concerning efficiency, compliance with standards, safety and overall condition.
Brosnan Property Solutions in Cork is proud of its boiler experts. All our professionals are on the Register of Gas Installers of Ireland and excel in their fields of expertise. They are qualified to provide outstanding boiler service as well as other property maintenance solutions for commercial establishments and domestic customers. We install, service, modify, remove boilers or other relevant equipment, and deliver bespoke solutions for both the private and public sectors.
What work is included in a boiler service?
All our boiler installers and technicians are RGII-certified, and we stand fully behind their work. They are happy to explain the procedure to you and answer any questions you may have.
Let’s see what they do.
Look at the externals
Before switching the boiler on, the technician will perform a visual assessment of the unit’s surface. Next, they will look for physical faults and examine the location of the boiler to ascertain its suitability. The placement must not hinder ventilation. It should also be adequately separated from any flammable objects.
The installer will ensure that the boiler powers on as expected. They can then quickly determine whether it is malfunctioning in any way.
Take a deeper look
The installer will conduct a thorough inspection of the inner workings. They will then clean and inspect all the components before putting them through their paces.
What components of a boiler require checking during a service?
The following is a partial list of boiler components that the service technician will inspect:
- Flue: A vital safety measure is to check for flue spills. The expert will examine how well the flue’s ducts and vents remove harmful chemicals and pollutants from the boiler system. In addition, they will look for the presence of dangerous substances such as carbon monoxide. Ridding the boiler of contaminants will help attain better combustion.
- Burners: The main burner and the pilot are checked and may also require adjustments or cleaning. The technician will power down the main burner switch and observe how the burner reacts to a loss of power. They will also take a reading of the fuels to ensure that combustion is taking place efficiently.
- Flow: The technician checks gas flow and pressure. They will examine the valves and make sure that the filling loop is attached correctly.
- Cables, connectors, sensors, seals and fuses: All cables, terminals, and electrical wiring are inspected and cleaned or replaced when necessary. An RGII-certified electrician can perform these checks and repairs.
- User controls: The installer checks all user-controlled switches and thermostats.
How much does a boiler service cost?
Boiler service in Ireland costs between €85 and €120. This pricing is a sound investment when compared to the possibility of replacing your boiler for €2000! You can also subtract the savings you’ll make for taking care of adjustments and minor repairs. Adjustments guarantee efficient combustion, leading to energy savings. Minor repairs prevent significantly higher costs in the long run.
How long does it take to service a boiler?
It takes 45 to 60 minutes to service a boiler. Although your boiler should be serviced in less than an hour, some models can take up to an hour and a half to inspect. If you install a new boiler or move an existing boiler, this type of service will take longer.
How often should you have your boiler serviced?
We often get asked ‘how often should you have your boiler serviced?’. It is simple.
Your boiler should be serviced once a year.
One of the primary reasons for an annual boiler service is to ensure the safety of your boiler. A boiler repair can save lives. A trained professional can detect the presence and stop the production of carbon monoxide.
Your guarantee is contingent on regular maintenance of your boiler to minimise the depreciation that can shorten its projected lifespan. As a result, if you miss your yearly deadline, your warranty may be voided.
What signs indicate that you need a boiler service?
Regular check-ups will keep your boiler running smoothly and prevent indications of trouble. However, the following signs may expose potential problems:
- Leaks from the boiler: A leak can exacerbate problems or may have been caused by more severe issues.
- Flame colour: A healthy pilot light has a blue flame rather than a yellow, orange, or red flame. Carbon monoxide is a harmful gas that a yellow or red flame can produce.
- Stains on or near the boiler: This can be a sign of flue malfunctioning. A flue leak is potentially dangerous because of the emissions it can produce inside the home or building.
- A lethargic boiler: It takes a long time for the boiler to heat the rooms or the water. There is insufficient hot water, or it never reaches the desired temperature. As a result, the boiler is not performing to its full potential.
- Loud clunking sounds or gurgling noises: This phenomenon known as kettling, particularly when the boiler starts up, is typically caused by lime build up inside the boiler. You may need a power flushing treatment because kettling is a sign of reduced efficiency. The boiler service technician will also rule out any loose pipes or thermostat problems.
- Rising energy bills: To reduce your energy costs, all you may need are some trivial adjustments to help your boiler run more efficiently.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
How do you service a boiler?
You get in touch with a company that has RGII-certified boiler servicing professionals on staff. A boiler service is performed according to a detailed checklist that includes both internal and external tests. Adjustments, cleaning, and fixing may be performed by the technician.
Can a plumber service a boiler?
Yes, as long as a plumber is RGII-certified, he may install, service or repair a boiler. To ensure that your boiler technician is trustworthy and professional, ask them to explain the procedure he uses to perform the service.
Does a boiler need to be serviced every year?
Yes, it does. An annual boiler service is an insurance against reducing the expected lifespan of your boiler. It is easier and less costly to fix minor problems than wait for severe complications, which may be too expensive and render the boiler irreparable.
How long does a boiler last before it needs to be replaced?
A boiler typically lasts for 10 to 15 years. Of course, this depends on how often should you have your boiler serviced. You may discover that annual maintenance may keep your boiler in good shape for the duration of its estimated lifespan. However, some clues make it clear that the boiler needs replacing. For example, it shuts down frequently, or it no longer heats your water or radiators sufficiently. Try ordering a boiler breakdown service, which may be able to get your boiler up and running again. However, the best boiler repair service may advise you to replace your boiler.
Let’s be in touch
Brosnan Property Solutions is here for you. Our multi-faceted, solution-oriented culture and skillsets allow us to see the whole picture. We pay attention to your overall goals without neglecting the intricate details required for property maintenance. This approach is valid for both our commercial facility management services and project management solutions and our domestic services for your home.
We would be happy to speak to you about any work that you need complete. No job is too small or too large for Brosnan’s Property Solutions in Cork. We are ready to work with you from roof repairs to landscape gardeners to boiler services to handyman services.
You can send us a message on our website, phone us or drop us a line via email. Look forward to hearing from you. We hope you have your question ‘how often should you have your boiler serviced’ answered and have more knowledge on boiler services in general.